Warren M. Levin MD
Integrative Health Blog
Why do we need antioxidants?
One of the 4 pillars of nutritional supplementation, antioxidants prevent our bodies from “burning up” (anti- against, oxidation – burning); oxidation from free radicals also causes aging, loss of cellular energy and function, premature cell death, degeneration, cancer, and more. Consider these biological truths about anti-oxidants:
- Antioxidants come from our food (and supplements) but more importantly our body’s antioxidant enzyme systems (all requiring nutritional building blocks).
- Cellular systems of detox and antioxidants always work together, are under genetic control and are inhibited whenever chronic inflammation is dominant. So if you have a chronic inflammatory health condition you also have an oxidation and toxic problem! Note that all chronic health conditions involve chronic inflammation.
- Our toxic world has greatly increased our need for all types of antioxidants to heal or remain healthy.
Antioxidants are key to:
- Overcoming illnesses
- Regaining health from any chronic or acute health issue
- Restoring health of the neuro-immune system compromised through heavy metal and chemical toxicity, overgrowth of bowel toxins and chronic infections
- All detoxification strategies should include anti-oxidants
How antioxidants are best delivered to the body:
Good Bugs Eat Bad Bugs
Nature is your best source of nutrition. However, it is now scientifically and medically recognized that even high quality and balanced diets can benefit from targeted nutritional supplements.
Detoxification, or removing the “bad stuff” from the body is a key component to health and longevity. There are many foods, herbs and drugs that are in the arsenal of a holistic patient and their doctor’s tool kit to help the body detoxify in a natural manner. Garlic is one of the most important!
This ancient longevity food has so many functions that it truly ranks as one of the most important super-foods. Garlic has two major functions: