Flu season is upon us again. Many believe that this season has become more worrisome because of the H1N1 swine flu that we have heard so much about. In June 2009 the World Health Organization declared a pandemic. However, a pandemic does not mean that the virus is more deadly. It simply means that it has spread further throughout the world. The response to this pandemic resulted in the rapid development of the swine flu vaccine.
Immunization for the seasonal and swine flu is once again in full swing. Yet, a significant number of people consider vaccination not the preferred option of flu prevention. There are legitimate concerns about preservatives and contaminants within the vaccines.
We at NIHA share these concerns and want to provide our community with effective prevention measures to stay healthy, including potent strategies of regaining your health rapidly should you fall sick.
Educate yourself and implement these effective and powerful health tactics into your life. Check out the recommended product list below and make sure you are ready for flu and cold season.
The Art of Staying Healthy When Others Get Sick
The key lays in a healthy immune system. Let us examine common sense steps in a lifestyle that promotes health and prevents infection:
What You Eat and Drink
- Did you know that eating sugar suppresses your immune system for up to 7 hours afterwards? Avoid sugars. Starchy processed foods convert into sugars as soon as they hit the stomach.
- In a more alkaline condition our bodies have the strongest “charge” or life force. In an acidic condition, bacteria and viruses can grow very quickly. Sugar, starches and meat contribute to an acidic environment.Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits, sprouts, nuts and seeds instead. Alkaline grains include millet, quinoa, and buckwheat. Coffee, juices, colas and other sodas are very acidic on the ph scale. Drinking plenty of fluids, like warm teas and fresh, pure water will help flush out your system and keep it clean. Start your day with a glass of water with the juice of a lemon or a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to help alkalize your system.
- Include fresh garlic into your diet on a daily basis. It is antiviral, antibacterial, anti-parasitical and anti-fungal. Put it through your juicer or VitaMix. The only other form of receiving the benefit of the active ingredient allicin is taking freeze dried garlic capsules (listed below). Every other form of garlic pills are virtually worthless, because the beneficial allicin gets destroyed within one hour.
Consider a nutrition consultation with our fabulous team of health coaches and get a head-start into the season surviving it and the holidays in an optimal way.
80% of the Immune System lives in the Intestinal Tract!
- Scientific research shows that 80% of your immune system actually lives right in your digestive tract. Optimizing intestinal health includes proper nutrition. But it also means to simply add more beneficial bacteria. A new study published in Pediatrics shows that a daily supplementation of probiotics may reduce the incidence of cold and flu-like symptoms in children by 50 percent!
- Avoid constipation. Again, dietary measures like plenty of fiber are key. Colon cleansing, including regular colonics throughout the season has been proven to be a very beneficial practice. You might consider an oxygen/magnesium product (see list of recommended products below) to keep regular.
When you feel like you are coming down with the flu do a home enema as soon as possible. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to quickly alkalize your blood.
Get Plenty of Sleep, Manage Stress
- A good night’s sleep strengthens your adrenals. Strong adrenals are essential for creating the energy to run your body each day and to fight an infection.
- 20 to 30 minute naps are good for you.
- Relaxing on weekends will certainly aid in balancing the stress scale, but it is actually the small, daily acts of self-care that are most beneficial to keep your immunity up throughout the season.
Hand and Respiratory Hygiene
- Frequent hand-washing is one of the best precautions we can take against communicable disease. Don’t waste your money on antimicrobial soaps - they simply don’t work on viruses like the cold or the flu. In fact, the Environmental Work Group reports the ingredients in Purell may be potential causes for endocrine disruption, allergies, immunotoxicity and skin, eye or lung irritations. Simply use a nice soap from a health-food store instead.
- A Neti Pot (see product list below) is an ancient therapy that works as a preventive measure by flushing out germs, dirt and allergens of your nasal passages. If you are actively sick use the Neti Pot or Saline Rinse more frequently during the day. It will assist thinning mucus and help flush it out of the nasal passage. Add some sea salt and possibly a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil into the Neti Pot water.
- Exercise to increase circulation and blood flow. All the different components of the immune system will be better circulated. Your blood will be oxygenized, and your lymphatic system mobilized. This is a key ingredient to helping your immune system to efficiently act upon pathogens. Consider investing into a good mini trampoline ( the Lymphecyser or the Cellulizer).
- A regular dose of fresh air is important, especially in cold weather when central heating dries you out and makes your body more vulnerable to cold and flu viruses. Also, during cold weather more people stay indoors, which means more germs are circulating in crowded, dry rooms. Sleep with your window open. Air out the house several times a day. Go for walks. Exercise outside.
Vitamin D levels
- Optimize Vitamin D levels! This is one of the absolute best strategies of avoiding infections. Vitamin D deficiency is a major culprit behind catching the seasonal flu/low immunity. We STRONGLY urge you to have your vitamin D levels monitored to confirm your levels are therapeutic at 50-70 ng.ml. The ONLY way to know your dose is to have your physician test your blood. You might need 4-5 times the amount recommended. This is one of the single most important and least expensive action steps you can take to begin the season.
Medically Supervised Flu Protocols
- Consider establishing a relationship with our practitioners for a routine physical and Vitamin D level evaluation early in the season. With our medically supervised health protocols, that may include powerful oral and IV protocols, they will assist you in regaining your health effectively and swiftly. The sooner you get on the program the better.
Be Prepared! List of Recommended Products for Prevention
For acute infection the doses change and additional supplements are recommended. See one of our medical professionals. Flu and Virus Prevention and Treatment Products are in the World Wellness Store.
- Fish oils: EPA and DHA will hinder the replication of the virus
- Transfer Factor Plus: increases natural killer cells and other immune factors: 1/day
- Freeze Dried Garlic:
3-5 caps opened into water 2 times a day
- Vitamin C: Ascorbic acid, 500mg 2x/day
- Vitamin A from Fish oil. 25 000 IU/day, for acute treatment consult with one of our medical professionals.
- Host Defense MyCommunity: A synergistically combined mushroom product that makes a super potent immune modifier. Take 2 capsules/day
- LimuPlex: Colostrum that contains a complex of immune factors and Fucoidan from a sea vegetable that is a powerful immune enhancer. 1 pack/day
- Netipot or Saline Rinse Kit
- Home Enema Kit
- OxiMega to move and/or cleanse your intestines.